wilbjr21 (Bob Wilson) nominated for Saint Tosser

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
After 41500 fault-free miles in eighteen months on my GSA it suddenly cut out in a down-market area of Chefchaouen. My immediate thought was that it was the fuel pump controller. When Seatownmaster's controller failed in January (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130373) the bike spluttered and if you waited long enough would run for a short time. So I hummed and haahed, waited for a while, but no joy.

I took out a spark plug and found it was sparking OK which I guessed meant it wasn't an immobiliser ring problem.

Yesterday was 'Labour Day' in Morocco, so all the cyber cafés were closed, and I couldn't access the threads on UKGSer and AdvRider. I texted Blue Sweeper (Roy) who was bringing a World of BMW group into Morocco.

To cut a long story short, Bob Wilson (aka wilbjr21), one of the WOB group, having already ridden from Ceuta to Meknes, dropped his wife at the hotel and rode back to Chefchaouen with a GS911 diagnostic tool, spare immobiliser ring and spare fuel pump. Yes it was the fuel pump controller, so we fitted his spare and then rode back to Meknes, the last hour or more in the dark. His 'detour' to come and rescue me was over 250 miles!

This morning I was able to do a bypass to the controller so I could give Bob his back again, which is just as well, as another of the 18 bikes on tour had developed the same problem.

So many thanks, Bob Wilson, you're a saint.

St. Bob

I toured with Bob last year, he is with out doubt one of life’s nice guys - :thumb

Yes it's a plug-in fault dianostic. If you google GS911 you'll find the information and other useful links.

Bob had a java-enabled mobile phone that communicated with the GS911 via bluetooth.

Tim

Fuel Pump Controller

Tim,
Mine went on the way down through Spain end of April. No warning, just cut out whilst riding along at 80mph. Had to get recovered to Madrid BMW the next day and it cost 166 euros to get a new one fitted. They took a day and a half to fix the bike!

Cheers to the Good Samaritan! :clap

Once I had Internet access I was able to find out about the controller bypass process which I've now done and handed Bob his spare back.

I've added the post below to the thread elsewhere on controller bypasses, but it makes sense to add it here as well...

Bypass wiring

Running direct to the battery is OK as a short term measure, but means the pump is continuously running unless you disconnect the cable.

My bike isn't going to be near a dealer for some time, so I've done a controller bypass to the existing wiring loom. OK, it's not neat but this is something the dealer is going to have to sort out under warranty when I'm back in the UK.

The connector running into the TOP of controller has three wires. Bare the right-hand and middle ones (and try not to slash the other in half as I did). Make an 'eye' in each of the cables to accept the splice.

IMG_1658e.jpg

Cut the two cables plus terminator block off the BOTTOM of the duff controller and splice
- the BLUE bottom cable into the BROWN top one
- the YELLOW bottom cable into the BLUE/GREEN top one.

IMG_1659e.jpg

Cover liberally with insulating tape, plug the terminator block into its position and start engine!

Tim

PS: according to the AdvRider thread at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6898745 it's an overheating problem and the new part number (16147694378 ??) has an improved heat sink.

Bob is the nicest rider one can probably meet, a general all round excellent chap, despite being a little slow up to Hartside cafe.

I'm not surprised he had the java program on the phone. It takes him 10mins to mount his bike due to all the wizardry he has installed on it. ;)

Has this matter been sorted on the '07 Adventure?

Or ... should one consider carrying a spare? (I assume the part at issue is gubbins with the heat sink type fins?)

Or ... is that a dumb question and idea?

Cheers

Paul

Has this matter been sorted on the '07 Adventure?

Or ... should one consider carrying a spare? (I assume the part at issue is gubbins with the heat sink type fins?)

Or ... is that a dumb question and idea?

Cheers

Paul

My '07 filled up with water and I could see that if I hadn't taken the time to cover everything in ACF-50 the water could well have caused a load of corrosion that has in the past lead to problems.

So take heed of the advice about on how to minimise your chances of getting caught out. A spare's what - ~£100. Do you feel lucky? Well do you???

Back
Top Bottom