Thread: Campfires?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Campfires?

So I'm a couple of weeks away from my first motorbike camping adventure (7 days with cooking every day) and getting my kit together; I've bought a few different stoves (seem to be be getting obsessed!) and planning on mostly using a wood gasifier stove that will run off wood or methylated spirits, and a small gas stove as a backup and for when I want something quick and easy.. With this in mind I was only planning on taking one little 100 gram gas canister, maybe two, but I believe some campsites don't allow real fires?

I'm planning on Scotland if the weather is good, if not I'll probably catch the eurotunnel and camp in France, Belgium and Germany, and possibly Luxembourg.. With this in mind what are these areas (including Scotland) usually like for allowing small, controlled fires that are off the ground?

Cheers.

In my (limited) experience, it's entirely down to individual campsites, rather than areas. In the UK at least, campsites have cottoned on to the fact that campers enjoy a campfire, and make it clear on their websites or campsite booking agent summaries if they're permitted or not, which enables travellers to plan ahead if having a fire in the evening is part of the decision of where to go. Some sites provide a firepit or raised iron grate for each pitch, and some of these even sell wood at the site shop, which gives the campsite a pleasant Pagan festival atmosphere of a Summer's evening. It also shows that the campsite has a responsible attitude towards the combination of roaring fires, copious alcohol, and tinder-dry woodland/meadows (although the latter component isn't usually an issue for UK camping...)

Probably don't need to mention this, but will anyway. If you're going away with new kit, and if you have access to a garden, try it all out before you go. The first time using any kit is a faff; a bit of practice will greatly reduce the time required to set up, operate, pack down small, and not leave any bits behind in the long grass.

Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Pip_UK View Post
    In my (limited) experience, it's entirely down to individual campsites, rather than areas. In the UK at least, campsites have cottoned on to the fact that campers enjoy a campfire, and make it clear on their websites or campsite booking agent summaries if they're permitted or not, which enables travellers to plan ahead if having a fire in the evening is part of the decision of where to go. Some sites provide a firepit or raised iron grate for each pitch, and some of these even sell wood at the site shop, which gives the campsite a pleasant Pagan festival atmosphere of a Summer's evening. It also shows that the campsite has a responsible attitude towards the combination of roaring fires, copious alcohol, and tinder-dry woodland/meadows (although the latter component isn't usually an issue for UK camping...)

Probably don't need to mention this, but will anyway. If you're going away with new kit, and if you have access to a garden, try it all out before you go. The first time using any kit is a faff; a bit of practice will greatly reduce the time required to set up, operate, pack down small, and not leave any bits behind in the long grass.

Have a great trip!
    Cheers for the info, much appreciated.. I've been playing about with my cooking gear in preparation. 😉

Might sound logical, but if you are making any kind of fire, beware of wind and direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Might sound logical, but if you are making any kind of fire, beware of wind and direction.
    Cheers.. I'm not too bad with fires, being a firefighter and all.. 😀

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Quote Originally Posted by jojitsu View Post
    Cheers.. I'm not too bad with fires, being a firefighter and all.. ��
    So you could say you’re a class A fire starter then

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post

Campsite that allow open fires are usually few and far between. Just phone em up and ask them.
    I ask if they allow BBQs?
    Invariably, in Scotland, they yes, if you avoid scotching the grass.
    But some campsites on the continent don't allow any kind of fire, apart from a stove. The fire risk is just too high.

I have one of these.
    https://www.alpinstore.com/en/mounta...iABEgLP6_D_BwE
    Fits nicely into a pannier. When you've finished cooking - just throw a few sticks on ...
    So long as it isn't roaring flames, I've never had any comments.

Yep forgot that firefighters know how to put fires out not start them.........

Well I'll be taking this:
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit
    and this that fits inside of a ridge monkey copy:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unigear-Fol.../dp/B072KGL1H1
    TF Gear Camping Sandwich Toaster Grill, Cooks Toasties, Breakfast and More! Ideal for Fishing https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LB8N5..._78z7AbXWWCYJ4

I'll be leaving this at home, as good as it is it'll take up too much room:

Camping Stove Lixada Stainless Steel Lightweight Wood Stove Solidified Alcohol Stove Portable Outdoor Cooking Picnic BBQ with Mesh Bag https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O600W..._o.z7AbH96XDBB

learned from experience. Not all gas canisters fit all stoves as we found out a few years ago. We struggled to get the right replacement gas cartridge in france for a uk bought stove. Do some research on your model if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by adventuredon View Post
    learned from experience. Not all gas canisters fit all stoves as we found out a few years ago. We struggled to get the right replacement gas cartridge in france for a uk bought stove. Do some research on your model if possible.
    Which is why I'd never camp abroad without my trusty Optimus nova.Runs on almost any liquid, it's efficient, robust and rebuild able. Good luck

So I'm a couple of weeks away from my first motorbike camping adventure (7 days with cooking every day) and getting my kit together; I've bought a few different stoves (seem to be be getting obsessed!) and planning on mostly using a wood gasifier stove that will run off wood or methylated spirits, and a small gas stove as a backup and for when I want something quick and easy.. With this in mind I was only planning on taking one little 100 gram gas canister, maybe two, but I believe some campsites don't allow real fires?

I'm planning on Scotland if the weather is good, if not I'll probably catch the eurotunnel and camp in France, Belgium and Germany, and possibly Luxembourg.. With this in mind what are these areas (including Scotland) usually like for allowing small, controlled fires that are off the ground?

Cheers.
    Looking forward to the pics