IT home router issues

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for some advice from any IT experts. I have a wireless router that is connected to the house fixed internet port via a CAT 5 cable. Basically runs any wireless connections that I have. Question, I want to set up a second router separate connections etc. Long story, it has to do with establishing a separate VPN set up. I´d like to have the second router go via a wireless connection to the first but my guess this is not possible, Any wireless router MUST be connected to the hard wired internet and cannot first have a wireless connection.
Am I right or wrong and if wrong interested how to set this up. What do I need?

First question is why do you want the second router to be a wireless connection, reason for asking is I run two separate WIFI's in the house, the first being the standard router/wi-fi provided by the cable company, then I have a 2 node mesh router with one of those nodes up in a bedroom that I use for the office (with no wires) and the second by the standard router and plugged into that with a physical cable.

The two node mesh system has one node that is completely wireless (apart from power) and it uses one dedicated frequency as a back-haul to the other node which is directly wired to the first router/wifi.

Sounds complicated but works really well and gives me two good quality but completely separate networks (actually 3 as I run two networks off the Mesh system) and gives the ability to add further wireless nodes that will just connect back to the 1st node.

My 3 networks.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 12.29.30.png
Office with the remote node on the metal cabinet, no wires (other than power).

IMG_0042.jpg

Last edited:
let me PM you with some details as it is indeed a bit complicated. thks
Lovely screen by the way...

Last edited:
Oh, wow.

There's a whole lot to untangle there :D

I'm keeping out of it.... :hide

Two VPNs? Why?

If you're trying to isolate some of your home network from another part of it then you want to be looking at VLANs.

This allows you to share the same internet connection (WAN - Wide Area Network) and split it into two completely separate networks with different logins etc. Most MESH WiFi APs (Access Points) will allow you broadcast both networks over WiFi so you wouldn't need to mess about with cabling etc, which is why I'm assuming you wanted the second router on WiFi?

I have a few VLANs set up so that my work, personal and guest networks are completely independent and can't see each other. You can isolate things like cameras or IoT devices etc.

Again, it all boils down to what you're trying to achieve. Maybe you do need two VPNs but I can't think of many reasons why you might want to.

Oh, wow.

There's a whole lot to untangle there :D

I'm keeping out of it.... :hide

Two VPNs? Why?

If you're trying to isolate some of your home network from another part of it then you want to be looking at VLANs.

This allows you to share the same internet connection (WAN - Wide Area Network) and split it into two completely separate networks with different logins etc. Most MESH WiFi APs (Access Points) will allow you broadcast both networks over WiFi so you wouldn't need to mess about with cabling etc, which is why I'm assuming you wanted the second router on WiFi?

I have a few VLANs set up so that my work, personal and guest networks are completely independent and can't see each other. You can isolate things like cameras or IoT devices etc.

Again, it all boils down to what you're trying to achieve. Maybe you do need two VPNs but I can't think of many reasons why you might want to.

@grantmac will you send Sparkplug the details you sent so he can share in the headache :D. He might have a better solution than my suggestion. I did need a paper and pencil !

I'm intrigued :D

I'm trying to remember what I know about split-tunnelling and running a VPN through another VPN for double encryption and the mess and headache and failure of trying to do that as an experiment many years ago!

I'm hoping it's not as complex as that :pullface

I'm intrigued :D

I'm trying to remember what I know about split-tunnelling and running a VPN through another VPN for double encryption and the mess and headache and failure of trying to do that as an experiment many years ago!

I'm hoping it's not as complex as that :pullface

It's not as complex as that, more a hardware based restriction based on proprietary services being consumed.

Back
Top Bottom