Something better than a Meindl boot repair or buying new Meindl boots

gerarddwatts

huge member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Cut from a parallel thread on repairing Meindl boots

Richard

=========

I'd be very wary about buying new Meindls, once I would never have worn anything else, but lots of tales of woe from hill keepers etc about leaks....last 2 pairs I had leaked before worn out.
Now on Lowas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be very wary about buying new Meindls, once I would never have worn anything else, but lots of tales of woe from hill keepers etc about leaks....last 2 pairs I had leaked before worn out.
Now on Lowas.
Interesting Gerard. Sending mine off for repair. New soles and rerand £150 quid. Never had a issue with mine.

The

Lowa Mens Hunter GTX Evo Extreme look a nice boot though.

My Meindl Airstream chainsaw boots are now a couple of years old and get plenty of wear. So far I have not had wet feet and the sole is not showing much sign of wear. These boots were comfortable out of the box. I have had Altberg walking boots in the past but after having them resoled three times in under two years and needing a new rand as well as the leather starting to crack and split. Altberg said they couldnt help as I was walking too far in them!!! I will be going with Meindl for my next walking boots.

I bought Zamberlan when compared with the Meindl Dovre.
The Zamberlan was full grain leather as opposed to split leather on the Meindl's.
That rubber rand on the Dovre looked like trouble, and my Zamberlan's look mint at 6 years old, and nothing like Doc's.
Had a couple of pairs of lightweight suede/fabric Meindl's that the sole literally fell off, which put me off the brand.

Last edited:
I bought Zamberlan when compared with the Meindl Dovre.
The Zamberlan was full grain leather as opposed to split leather on the Meindl's.
That rubber rand on the Dovre looked like trouble, and my Zamberlan's look mint at 6 years old, and nothing like Doc's.
Had a couple of pairs of lightweight suede/fabric Meindl's that the sole literally fell off, which put me off the brand.
In fairness to my Meindl's I have have had them many years before a problem with the rubber rand. Best boot I have ever used on the bike and comfy off the bike. And yes I know they aren't motorcycle boots. ;)

Back up emergency boot whilst my Meindl's are being repaired.
Matterhorn. Don't really hear of this make much but a very good waterproof boot.20230904_064545.jpg

Interesting Gerard. Sending mine off for repair. New soles and rerand £150 quid. Never had a issue with mine.
I have a pair Meindl Bhutan which have been an excellent servant, now in need of a resole I would be grateful for any recommendation for a reputable repairer to undertake this work.

I have discovered a Scottish company called Brandecosse - the boots are however made in Italy and whilst not cheap the quality is superb

Have a look at Altberg boots in Richmond Yorkshire... some made in Italy some in UK. And they do some of their styles in extra wide for people with flippers like me...... resole and rand there starts at 80 quid

Sent my Meindl Bhutan boots to these guys recently.Mine were in a bit of a state to be honest,will let you know how they turn out.

salomon quest for me, brilliant boots, scarpa manta.'s for the really hilly stuff

Thanks for your input all, i have emailed LSR, to see what they can do for me.

Turns out the rand could not be repaired so new boots required.

I have discovered a Scottish company called Brandecosse - the boots are however made in Italy and whilst not cheap the quality is superb

Those look nice. Plus they make a few that are high suitable for riding the bike.

Have a look at Altberg boots in Richmond Yorkshire... some made in Italy some in UK. And they do some of their styles in extra wide for people with flippers like me...... resole and rand there starts at 80 quid
I would second Altberg. I have two pairs, a pair of defenders which I had resoled and re-branded earlier this year at a cost of £90 and they had given great service in over 4yrs of walking around. And I also have a pair of Kisdon walking boots which were expensive but I've just found are such good boots.
They were very friendly and up front about the costs of the repairs when I phoned the company to enquire about the repair costs which are laid out on their website. Happy to recommend them.

I promised an update in post #14 so here it is.

Boots arrived back today all ok,superb repair and great value for £67 especially when I honestly thought they were beyond fixing

Back
Top Bottom